The Nelson & Area Elder Abuse Prevention Program requires volunteers. We are looking for caring individuals with people skills. Experience working with computers or website management, community involvement, law enforcement or financial institutions is an asset but not required.
A volunteer could do as much or as little as they are able, for example: create newspaper articles or bulletins, check links and manage updates on the website, be at the resource centre for drop-ins, respond to inquiries or e-mails, liaise with other groups in Nelson and the outlying areas, and assist with educational strategies.
The volunteers will be provided with:
- A ‘Volunteer Training Day’;
- Mentorship with experienced volunteers;
- Choices of areas of interest;
- Scheduled times of involvement;
- An opportunity to contribute to the creation and maintenance of a made at home program that reaches out to our communities with a social issue that is important, meaningful and could affect us or someone we love.
Due to the sensitive nature of these volunteer positions, volunteer candidates must:
- Have a Criminal Records Check by either the Nelson City Police or the RCMP, at no cost when identified as a volunteer;
- Be able to maintain confidentiality;
- Be able to maintain neutrality in distressing situations;
- Be able to recognize limitations of knowledge and seek advice;
- Be willing to commit to the principles of the organization.
Interested in volunteering?
Elder Abuse Prevention Resource Centre
Nelson and District Senior’s Coordinating Society
719 Vernon Street, Nelson, BC V1L 4G3